Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Adventures with Venison!

How appropriate that I'm watching the Top Chef finale as I get ready to put together this post.

So, Chris likes to hunt and has gotten a deer 3 of the 4 last hunting seasons.  Needless to say we have a ridiculous amount of venison in the freezer.  In an effort to start clearing freezer space, I embarked on a mission to figure out a way to prepare the venison steaks so they'd not only be edible, but something we could do again.  

We've mastered using ground venison and usually just sub it in for ground beef in things like tacos and sloppy joes....these round steaks, however, were intimidating.

Gross lookin, huh?

So following this recipe, which was incredibly simple, I embarked on my first ever venison steak cooking experiment...and lucky for you, I took lots of pictures along the way!






Clearly my plate, Chris wouldn't touch a salad!

Thumbs up for success!
Basically, it was just a slow braise of the venison in a gravy made from flour and the pan drippings (with a little butter to help it along the way, of course!), onions, and a dash of sour cream at the end.  We served it with some mashed Yukon golds, and overall I'd say it was a hit!  Chris enjoyed it, and I think we'd both agree it was even more satisfying to prepare a meal using meat that he provided vs. paying a ton for something from a meat market.

And I got to wear my super cute apron my mom got me :) 


I've got a few more recipes on the radar for the coming week, so be expecting more food posts soon :) 

Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment