Sunday, November 21, 2010

The joys of Catholicism

Something that has always been important to me is my faith.  I love being Catholic, all the ritual and history is fascinating.  I excitedly called my parents after mass this morning to tell them all about the anointing of the sick sacrament the Priest did after today's homily.  Yeah, I'm that nerdy Catholic all my Southern Baptist "friends" made fun of in high school.  But I digress...

As I was sitting in Church this morning and watched the sunlight come through the stained glass windows and recited the same prayers my parents and grandparents grew up with, I felt so connected.  Beyond that, I was overcome to the point that tears started to form (again, I know, I'm a big Catholic nerd) at the fact that this beautiful and God filled place is where I will commit my life and love to my best friend. 

Then my mom called to inform me that my dreams for a March 2012 wedding were impossible.  I'd recently realized that it could get tricky planning a wedding during Lent.  Meatless rehearsal dinner, no flowers on the altar, no music during the ceremony.  Needless to say, I was already considering the fact that we'd either move it up to February or move it back to April.  Mom had a chat with her priest in Wichita, and apparently the Church doesn't do weddings during Lent.  So it looks like April it is.  Now the fun part of picking a date! 

I'm eagerly anticipating the "no wedding talk til after Thanksgiving" ban being lifted on Thursday, so be expecting more details to unfold soon!

- - - - - -
Non wedding related:  My brother Tim came into town this weekend and it was beyond great to see him.  We met up with my FSIL, Jenny, and her friends for dinner, drinks, and dancing Friday and had a quiet night in on Saturday watching movies and eating Imos (YUM!).  He left this morning :( and I'm not sure when I'll see him again in the next year, since he's currently living in Qatar. There's a few family functions in the spring and summer, so fingers crossed that'll work out for him to come back to the states for either of those.

He was also very helpful during his drive back to our parent's in Wichita and walked me through getting rid of some virus that hacked into my computer and was making me so anxious I almost cried.  Gotta love having a tech savvy brother, especially when he's in the same time zone for once :)

No comments:

Post a Comment